Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Bad Organic Pie

The other day we decided to go down to our local farmer's market and see what there was. Sometimes we score some fresh vegetables and fruits, sometimes baked goods or sweets.  My son wanted the blackberries and my husband was on the prowl for a good pie. I was just happy looking around and contemplating whether or not I wanted to buy squash and zuchini.
We bought the blackberries and my husband was mulling over the small selection of pies left.  He spotted that one was sugar-free and a organic blueberry pie. He asked if I was interested. I said sure. Then I asked the man at the stall if there was a sugar substitute. He nodded and said it had Aspartame in it.
Aspartame? Really? Of all the sweetner substitutes out there they picked that one? The one linked to cancer and alzheimers? I was expecting at least Stevia, but I guess even that was far reached. Maybe the news of how bad aspartame is hasn't reached them or maybe they just don't believe it. Either way, I declined on the pie.

The next day I went out and bought some overripened strawberries and rhubarb. I then made a sugar-free pie using agave. Which by the way is fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment